Tuesday 8 May 2012

Cabmens Shelters, Part 1

I've always been interested in the cabmens shelters you get around London. When I was a student, we had a measured drawing exercise, and I chose to do my drawing of a cabmens shelter that was just down the road from college. There are thirteen left in London, down from over 60 back in the early 20th century. Here are seven of them.

Here's one in Clifton Gardens, Maida Vale. Undergoing a bit of repainting. Sausage roll was good, cheap.



Embankment Place, near the Hungerford Bridge. No sausage roll, it was shut




Grosvenor Gardens over the road from Victoria station. I had a bacon roll here. Nice and crispy. Recommended.




Hanover Square, close to Oxford Circus. Was in the middle of some crossrail construction. You could still get to it through narrow tunnels of hoardings. Sausage roll was ok, a bit too greasy for my taste.




Pont Street in Belgravia. Good sausage roll, very poular. Recommended.




St. Georges Square in St. James. Excellent sausage roll, good value for money. Five Stars.





Temple. Didn't eat here. I queued up for a sausage roll, but the person serving was spending ages chatting to the guy in front of me, so I just left it. Architecturally, quite a bit different from the rest of the cab rests, with a different roof.






And here is my student measured drawing of the cab rest in South Kensington. It's gotten a bit darkened and grubby in the last 15 years or so.




No comments:

Post a Comment